Week 3 Reasserting the Human [ length of 2 videos: 1:54, 2:54 ]
Why did I make these 2 videos and these 2 images?
Week 3 of the EDC-MOOC had as a central theme “Reasserting the Human”. I really got fun making my short videos and ended up making 3 in this week of the course.
Next to this there was a competition in the course where we were asked to make an image on the theme of the week and to upload this image to Flickr-river. I entered the competition with two images.
Video 1: In search of Humanity
- Perspective plays a major part in viewing reality.
- From too far and from too close, a human being is invisible, unrecognisable.
- Technology can show us things from a large distance or can zoom in onto tiny details.
- Only from the right distance, in the right perspective, in the human proportion, the human can be recognized as a human.
I made this video using screenshots (on my iPad) of the application CosmicEye.
Video 2: Man and Technology
- In the current time we live in a close relationship to technology.
- Technology can help a conception, can help a weak baby.
- Glasses, hearing aids, walking aids … they help us to express as much as possible our human capabilities and thus make us who we are.
- Technology at a certain point becomes part of a human body. Though this at first may sound weird, we already have this situation in our current time e.g. with pacemakers, artificial hips etc.
- Where will future bring us when technology becomes intelligent, when we start communicating with technical tools, when those tools become a self-thinking part of our bodies?
Image 1: Directions
- Whereto does the future lead us?
- It takes different angles to get a good clue of what future can bring us.
- But even with the clearest directions on a sign, you need your own goal to find the way to go.
Image 2: Pars pro Toto
- DNA is becoming so important in modern medicine that there’s a danger that it’ll become too technical, too distant from real people, real patients.
- Let’s not forget where it’s all about in the end.