This year I made my own calendar for 2016 using photos I made during the last years. In this post I’ll tell a bit about each photo and which app I used to make it. For more information on the apps, please click the links provided below.
I made this image by combining several photos and a color filter in the iPhone app Diana Photo. I superimposed a photo of the train station of Nijmegen and a photo of the new bridge “The Crossing” over our river Waal. The name of the bridge refers to the US marines who crossed the river in rubber boats while under hostile machine gun fire in 1944 during the liberation fights over Nijmegen. (app used: Diana Photo)
I used PhotoShop to combine elements from several paintings of the Dutch national museum, Rijksmuseum, into this image. The frame comes from a photo of an old mirror, also from the Rijksmuseum.
I deliberately put the lady outside the frame to make it look as if she is painting the other painting.
The Rijksmuseum offers many high quality photos online of famous paintings and other art objects of the museum. You can download them legally and use them to create new pieces of art. You’re even encouraged to share your new work and enter the yearly competition of these kinds of remixed works. (app used: PhotoShop)
APRILThis piece of art was made by my son in elementary school when he was about 10 years old. It’s called “insect” and depicts just that: an insect.
I made a photo of this work with my iPhone and arranged it on top of a background of two rectangles in the app Bazaart on my iPad.
(app used: Bazaart)
This is a photo of a double spiral stair in the medical research building of Nijmegen university. The form of the stairs refer to the double spiral of the DNA molecule. In the middle of the stairs there is an art work which displays random colors when somebody walks on the stairs. I added the colors and other elements to it with Diana Photo app on my iPhone.
(app used: Diana Photo)
This picture of a chandelier was taken in the entry hall of Huize Heyendael at our university campus. I removed the colors in the photo and superimposed a photo of black and white keys of a piano.
(app used: Diana Photo)
During a visit to the German town Kranenburg I made two photos of the abandoned railroad between Kranenburg and the city Nijmegen. I used the app Bazaart to cut the handles clear from their background and to put them on top of the rails. (app used: Bazaart)
For this collage I used photos of roses we had in a vase in our living room and an online photo of a Swedish actress. I combined all photos in Bazaart app on my iPad and exported this as new image. This new image was imported into Dreamscope to add the impressionistic touch to it.
(app used: Bazaart, Dreamscope)
Elements of three online photos of paintings by Vincent van Gogh were combined into this new remix painting.
(app used: Bazaart)
This is a photo of a couple of trees in our neighborhood. I added the red shadows to the trees with Diana app and exported the result as a new image. This new image was imported in the app Tiny Planet where the round distortion was added. (app used: Diana Photo, Tiny Planet)
This last image was made by manipulating a photo of some tree tops behind our house in Diana app. (app used: Diana Photo)
IF YOU WANT TO SEE MORE
If you want to see more images made by me, you can check out these online albums at Flickr:
APPS USED ON MY iPHONE AND iPAD
As so often with these kind of collaborative projects, they don’t end before it’s over. And, you never can tell whether it’s over … until it’s over.
As we are close to Christmas, I suggested to add some Christmas flavor to the song. I myself added some sleigh bells ringing by jingling my house keys in front of the microphone. Sarah added some digital tubular bells to the song.
In all it sounded great. You can listen to it here.
Kevin had already started in Soundtrap by adding several tracks like voice, drums, bass, sax and guitar.
First thing I did was to listen a couple of times to the song and think of how I could sing along with Kevin.
Then I recorded my first voice track with the Dictaphone app on my iPhone while listening to Kevin singing on my computer’s headphones.
After that I recorded a second part, again by using the combination of playing Kevin’s song on my computer/headphones and singing into my iPhone.
I mixed the two tracks in Audacity to check whether I was singing in key in an acceptable way. I added some reverb to the dictaphone recordings to make it sound a little better.
After that I copied the second part voice track and made Audacity put it into notes wich are 4 half notes lower than the original. Thus I created a third part which followed the second part yet sounded a bit lower in tune.
I liked the harmony of the second part and third part yet I missed the feeling of a group of people singing together. Since the tracks were copies, they were too much in sync with each other.
I changed this in Audacity by dragging the third part track a little out of sync of the second part. When I played it now, it sounded more like two people singing together.
I uploaded all the tracks to Soundtrap and put the parts into sync with Kevin’s singing.
To finish it, I added a simple string track to the song using the online instrument that’s provided by Soundtrap.